Mechanical Design Engineer
This company is a medium-sized engineering company that delivers mission critical engineering to Europe’s nuclear and healthcare industries. Specialising in nuclear engineering: shielding, containment, remote handling, and packaging, we put safety first and harness fresh thinking on every project. Together, we’re shaping the future of nuclear engineering. Our vision is to be the company of choice for customers and competitors, and our mission is to be the most respected and fulfilling nuclear company to work for in the UK.
To provide engineering design solutions as part of a multi-disciplined engineering team in the delivery of one of the company’s major projects or workstreams.
Working directly under the supervision of the Principal Engineer or Senior Mechanical Design Engineer; responsible to produce engineering concept, scheme, and detailed design solutions to meet the contracted requirements.
Key Working Relationships
Your key working relationships will be with the Head of Engineering Operations, Engineering Manager, Principal Engineers, Senior Engineers, Design Engineers, Project Managers/Engineers and with Support functions – Finance, HR, H&S
You should pursue a programme of continuous professional development in accordance with any relevant professional registration or statutory requirements, while maintaining appropriate awareness of service provider requirements.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To produce engineering concepts and technical solutions compliant with company and international standards, with minimal supervision, but with regular consultation with the Project Engineering Manager, Principal Engineer, Senior Mechanical Design Engineer or other team members.
- To develop the design of mechanical equipment to a level sufficient for manufacture and functionality
- To provide the technical production and checking of design and design support documents and ensure they are completed within the required timescales.
- To carryout, in addition to design, all aspects of the design process such as draughting, testing of products, as well as other organizational tasks as deemed appropriate in order to ensure timely progress of projects being worked on.
- To manage the substantiation/validation of design output
- To issue engineering documents as required.
- To provide technical liaison with Clients and Suppliers.
- To assist in general clerical and administrative duties to ensure the smooth running of the Engineering Department.
- Any other job duties commensurate with the accountabilities of the post.
- Understanding of GDPR/data protection legislation procedures and requirements in a highly regulated environment.
- To support business change, via effective change management processes in the context of the company’s fast-paced regulatory environment.
- To be responsible for your own workplace safety. To demonstrate commitment to health and safety; ensure all statutory obligations are met and the safety of staff, clients and visitors are in line with the UK and European standards.
Essential Qualification, Knowledge and Experience
- Current valid right to work in the UK
- A good standard of written and spoken English language
- Significant Mechanical Engineering Qualification
- Significant HNC/HND Engineering Discipline (Mechanical) Qualification
- Significant Engineering Degree (BEng / MSc) Qualification
- Significant Leadership and management of multi-discipline teams
- Significant Knowledge of engineering delivery process
- Communication Skills
- Technical lead on specific projects
- Line Management
- Engineering career development
- Engineering resource management
- Stakeholder (client) management
- Performance Management
- Engineering design management
- Concept, scheme, and detail design engineering
- 2D / 3D CAD Design (SolidWorks or similar)
- Design for manufacturing
- Managing / participating in design reviews
- Technical document (control, configuration & issue)
- Technical reporting (internal & external)
- Analytical, mathematical, and engineering calculations ability
- Knowledge of standards and regulations
- Problem solving
- Inspection and testing
- Substantiation & validation of engineering design
- An understanding of and commitment to equality and opportunity and good working relationships, both in terms of day-to-day working practices and management systems.
- Compliance with internal policies and procedures
Desired Qualification, Knowledge and Experience
- Limited EC&I Engineering Qualification
- Limited Stress Engineering Qualification
- Significant Professional Registration (EngTech/IEng/Ceng) qualification
- Significant Nuclear experience / highly regulate industry qualification
- Security Cleared (DV/SC)
- Knowledge of Project Management (time, cost & quality)
- Sub-contractor management
- Management of change control
- Learning from experience and continuous improvement
- NEC contract or similar experience
- Technical support to bid process
- Technical support to commercial department
Capilaux is a recruitment business and is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or any other protected status or characteristic.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.